Few things are as heart-wrenching for families as having to put an elderly relative into a nursing home or care facility. You did so thinking that he or she would get better care than you could provide on your own. When you discover the people you trusted with your parent or other relative’s care abused them instead, it feels like a horrible betrayal. If you suspect elder abuse, we encourage you to speak with a San Jose personal injury attorney at Needham Kepner & Fish right away.
Signs of Elder Abuse
Abuse of the elderly can take many forms. Whether it’s physical, emotional, sexual, financial, or neglect, your loved one deserves better. The following are some indications of possible elder abuse:
- Dramatic weight loss
- Bruises no one can explain
- Sores or scratches on the arms and legs that could be from unlawful restraint
- Bed sores
- Your family member’s oral hygiene needs are not attended to and his or her clothes are often dirty
- You witness staff yelling at or speaking to residents in a degrading manner
- Your loved one seems unusually fearful, especially around certain staff members
If you have evidence of a crime, we encourage you to contact the police as well. Be sure to record your observations at each visit.
How a San Jose Personal Injury Attorney Can Help With Your Elder Abuse Case
It can be difficult to get a clear picture of how staff treats your family member, particularly if he or she suffers from dementia and can’t give an accurate report. Our law firm has the experience to prove elder abuse and get families the compensation they deserve for their suffering. Watching an elderly parent, grandparent, or other close relative decline is heartbreaking enough without knowing they suffered abuse. Please contact us at 408-956-6949 to request a free consultation.